Sunday, July 22, 2007

Beach House Bead Party

I held my 1st official party at Laura's beach house yesterday. Seven ladies made a necklace and earrings while a few fast beaders came away with 2 sets and repairs to old jewlery. Everyone proclaimed to have a great time and seemed excited to model their new pieces. I personlly found it rewarding both to teach people and to see looks of satisfaction with the finished pieces. It was a great learning opportunity for me.

  • People loved the ear ring display on the wire tree! (Great job Mom.)
  • I sold less than I'd expected. Most ladies used the pieces for inspiration only. I need to find another outlet to sell finished pieces.
  • The handmade clay beads didn't attract much attention. (boo hoo...I love making these!)
  • 7 people was about the maximim I could handle.
  • Next time, I'll bring more silver chains, Swarovski crystals, gold seed beads, and temporary crimps. The "shiny and flashy" beads were more popular than the stones.
  • I think ladies would pay extra for the expensive beads.
  • The hand made links were a hit
  • The party lasted for over 6 hours...way longer than I thought! I had a blast because I knew the people; but If I extend parties beyond my circle of close friends I'll need to set a time limit.

In the end, I thought it was neat to have a bead party in the comfort of someone's home with food & friends. Both Laura (my friend) and her mom asked me if I'd be willing to do it again. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Patty,

Checkin out your blog. Great work!

Mom

Anonymous said...

If you are looking for a new outlet to sell your jewelry you should look into craft fairs. I used to visit them all the time and I don't recall every seeing clay beads. You could be the first!
Tara

Patty said...

Thanks for the tip Tara! I have a friend who sells handmade crafts. I should probably ask her which fairs or venues are good. ~Patty